Saturday, January 17, 2009

Refueling

My mom is like many mothers, she gives of herself more than she takes from this world. For Christmas, I gave her a gift card to Somerset Day Spa. She talked about going there, but I knew she wouldn't go or that it would be after she'd done everything she needed to do for everyone else. 

Society has taught women to sacrifice their needs and wants, to give and to nurture and to be there for others. It isn't awful that some women put others before themselves. What's horrible is that they do this even when they can't afford to do it, when they have no energy left and when they should focus on themselves. How can you take care of someone else when you are spiritually, emotionally and physically drained yourself?

How can you live a happy, fulfilled life when you have given everything you have away without stopping to re-energize.

So that is why my mom and I spent the whole day together Friday. We went out for breakfast, we played Rock Band at Best Buy while we waited for our appointments at Somerset, we got full body massages, we went to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and then we went out for Mexican dinner. 

It was an excellent day. I didn't think about my weight loss. I didn't think about the economy. I didn't think about whether I would have money for graduate school. I didn't think about my brother living far away and getting shipped to another country who knows where who knows when. 

I just thought, 'My mom needs a break. I need a break. We deserve a break.'

So now, I'm feeling very relaxed and re-energized. I feel good. Today's a new day and I can get back to my worries, my mom can get back to her mothering and we both have the energy to face anything that comes our way.

1 comment:

  1. What an excellent post! My mother is very similar. She is always go go go and never stops to do things for herself. As for me, I am my mothers daughter and tend to be exactly the same. Good for you for stopping to recognize and appreciate your own health and that of your mothers. You will never regret a day like that. I think I need to call my mother now and invite her to have a girls day!

    ReplyDelete