Tuesday, January 6, 2009

No Man Is An Island ... Unless He's a Lady and a Vegetarian at Blimpy Burger

Ask for a veggie burger at Blimby Burger in Ann Arbor and you're just beggin' for a snarky comment.

My supervisor, Jeff, and coworkers, Matt and Bill, and I went to the delightful and totally not healthy Blimby Burger for lunch before a big work meeting.

I could have said I didn't want to go, but I didn't want to be the party pooper.  Bill was super excited about these burgers that you have to order with phrases like "a triple" and where even the vegetables are deep fried. 

My arteries shudder in fear of this place. 

Of course, unhealthy does not mean untasty. Quite the opposite. Most of the time places like this have the best tasting food around. I guessed this place was no different. I don't eat the stuff now, but I didn't lose my memory. I know what the food tastes like to meat eaters. I didn't want the guys to miss out.

I figured I would get the (most likely, seldom ordered) veggie burger on the menu. I knew there was a good chance that the person taking my order would crack some jokes on me since I was at a burger place asking for a veggie burger. I was prepared to deal with that, but we go in and I find out the place is tiny as Harry Potter's bedroom under the stairs. No kidding. Tiny hole in the wall establishment. Everyone would be able to hear the smart remarks. Boo!

As expected, the guy behind the counter wearing an apron covered in burger grease laughed when I ordered my vegetarian fare. I got embarrassed and offended at the same time. Then the person putting toppings on our burgers asked me what I wanted on my "sawdust patty." 

And yes, this was all very amusing to the guys, but I survived. My calorie count didn't take a severe beating, but it also wasn't the best food day in my new-healthy-lifestyle.

2 comments: